Friday, March 04, 2005

WANTED - A Few Good Ideas

Well, once again I got little to no sleep last night. The only difference this time is that it wasn't my fault. I tried to sleep, dropped off real fast in fact, but about 30 min. later I was wide awake. I tossed and turned for about an hour before giving up and deciding to do some work instead. Around 5:00 am I tried sleeping again and tossed around some more before finally dozing off around 6:15, only to be awakened by the alarm at 7:00. Anyway, I wasn't really feeling it the way I had before, so it wasn't too difficult to get started. It was a mad house at the library today, with back-to-back classes from 8:00 to 11:00. All of the kids are in a Dr. Seuss frenzy right now because of his b-day and National Book Week. It's interesting how all it takes is a little extra hype to get kids interested in particular books.

(Using this knowledge, I think it would be great for public libraries to work with schools and institute a book talk program. You could have several different themes throughout the year or do award books like Lone Stars for Junior High and Tayshas for High School. Elementaries could do Bluebonnets or maybe 10 of the more recent Newbery Books. Another great way to get kids talking about books might be to put together a juvenile book club of some sort, one which could only be attended by kids of certain ages, plus one or two faculty for monitoring purposes.)

So, after the morning rush, the rest of the day was spent typing up survey questions which I plan to hand out first things after Spring Break. It will focus on school library usage and what the kids are using their library for, as well as what kinds of things would get them interested in using the library more than they already do.

Well, that's it for this time. Next week my mom's on Spring Break, so I won't really be journaling anything, but look for a new posting some time late on Mon, March 14th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home